Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back to the desert


OK. So, I suppose it has been a little while since I reported upon our own ice preparations. Over the last couple weeks, Jill and I haven't touched much ice, but have been doing plenty of background work. We've been modeling in clay, modeling on the computer, sketching this & that, and working more on templates.

Of note, the puma/cougar/mountain lion will be hanging out in a cave near the waterfall. Instead of being completely exposed and open (where we'd have to carve the entire thing) he/she'll be chilling, paws crossed, taking in the action from halfway within a cave. The waterfall itself is changing (not present in this diagram), to be a smaller, split waterfall coming in on either side of a perched boulder. I'll add the sketches as soon as I find them.

Another positive thing: Some while ago, I'd discovered that the cholla will be best created as a table, with the various appendages glued on to that. It'll provide some more stability and allow it to be fluffier. An inital attempt at carving the cholla base was promising.

I'm ALSO contemplating the addition of an Agave plant. maybe multiples. I think they'll be good groundcover and will help to use up those inevitable diagonal ice fragments that get scattered everywhere.

- -
By now, a small amount of panic has set in: We start in just under 120 hours. Tim left Africa Yesterday, and will be arriving tomorrow evening. Meanwhile, Katie is coming in either next Tuesday evening or Wednesday to help with our final push.

No comments: