Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Visiting class


Adak time is rushing past! I didn't sleep too well last night, tossing and turning without much comfort or warmth. I was listening to my music all night on headphones, but feel like I had a grand total of maybe 2 hrs. Oh well.

This morning, I fixed a quick breakfast burrito, and then marched on over to the school with Jess, Michelle, Tina, and Ed. Jessica gave the preliminary talk on Volcanoes and volcano monitoring. I chimed in, as did Michelle and Tina. Then, I talked a little about earthquakes (Apparently, according to Tina, I have excellent body language when I convey the idea of wave motion ?!?) and played some volcano sounds. It was about this point that I learned the school has an internet connection, which I proceeded to take great advantage of.

I showed some photos of the station installation, and then Guy showed up with an old, dug-up seismometer which he hooked to his computer and gave a demonstration. I was impressed with how well Guy explains this stuff to the children. By the end of the two hour session, we had the children in 3-4 groups and were answering questions and demonstrating stuff.

It turns out that both the helicopter (Bill & Anthony) and the Maid left today, with only Cyrus stopping by to say G'bye.

I spent the afternoon checking email and deleting spam. Had a talk with a couple locals, including the husband of Blue (The lower-grade teacher) who set up the wireless connection, and Allan, a very talkative guy. I was saved from the conversation by Pizza for dinner (being carried out by Jess & Tina). At home, a quick call from Katie, a half-game of scrabble, and then a couple movies : "Crash" and "The life and death of Peter Cellars"

Looking forward to getting home, though.

No comments: