Sunday, August 17, 2008

Rock and roll is here to stay


Cleveland Rocks!
Well, at least, there's the Rock and Roll hall of fame there. We started from Barkeyville, OH (not Sharon, as I'd previously thought. Sharon was where the local newspaper was from). We started from Barkeyville at around 10am, crossed into Ohio by 1030, and passed our first automobile plant at 1100.
We had our first breakfast at the hotel (OK, but it was all baked stuff), so second breakfast was on the turnpike, where we watched a little cat work over the visitors for food. Actually, she looked like she had quite the setup, with a great little nest in the bushes, and plenty of visitors to offer food.
While at the rest stop, mom picked up a brochure for the R&RHofF... so we went. It was OK. I really enjoyed seeing Janice's car and seeing some original manuscripts with cross outs of various artist's songs. Some of the guitars were pretty neat, as were George Clinton's dog shoes. Other random things that I was particularly impressed with: Michael Jackson's zombie jacket, ZZ-top's junkyard-style metal guitars, and John Lennon's guitar that had its paint stripped and had a couple carvings of him & Yoko etched into it in pen.

I had a small conversation about volcanoes with the coat-check girl as I picked up my camera (no photos, check all cameras, please). She saw my regatta shirt, and asked me if I was really from up there. Yep. "Do you know about the volcano that's erupting up there?" "(sigh) yeah." The license plate is still getting double takes, and as mom puts it "we're making kids very happy who are counting license plates from different states".

All in all, it was a day of tolls and toll booths. Indiana was ugh. Illinois was filled with tolls and construction. I'm still not down with "Those damn I-states", and made a point to drive to Wisconsin before stopping.

Mileage: 570, total: 1012 (442 yesterday, revisionist)
Meals: Hotel for breakfast, Turnpike for breakfast II, Hamburgers at the R&RHoF for lunch, Fazoli's (Turnpike) for the most nutritious meal of our trip (dinner), and later a shake & fries to keep me going 'till after midnight Central Time.

Gas: ~4.00 /gal along the way

No comments: