Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shovel your roof off.


Sunday, Day 10
Late morning getting out of Fort Nelson. Woke up after a good night's sleep, feeling like I need only 10 more hours of sleep to feel "normal". Multiple days of 8am-Midnight are beginning to leave me a little flat.
We ate a nice little breakfast provided by the hotel (Lakeview Inn), then packed, checked weather, and --surprise, surprise-- I called ahead to make reservations in Watson Lake. My original "plan" had been to try to drive all the way to Whitehorse, YT, but that would have been a 600+ mile day, and experience was showing that that sort of mileage is actually relatively unobtainable.

I chatted up the girl at the front desk (Tanya), who has lived there for the last 12 years. Heavy snows this winter collapsed the roof of the local ice skating / curling rink.

Lunch was at Muncho's Lake (I think) where I had a nice litle discussion about rocks and obsidian with a guy who worked on the highway. His wife was serving lunch; good soup & chili.

The drive itself was very pleasant. We started off in the rolling hills just west of fort nelson. Pretty soon, though, we were in more mountainous terrain. The rest of the drive was through mountains. Today's wildlife included a bunch of woods bison and caribou. We also stopped to poke around an aluvial fan, shortly after lunch.

No comments: