Sunday, September 25, 2005

unravelling (slightly)

What to say about today? It was a boat ride The seas were rough, but not as rough as they had been. We arrived at Semi by around 2pm, but were unable to do anything, as the ceiling was low, the ship was rocking, and the pilot was tired. Basically, we took the trip over to just refuel the helicopter once. What a waste.

I can feel my own nerves beginning to fray as time just keeps slipping past up here. I could be doing so much more, but when the boat moves, I'm unable to do anything. For the trip back home (home meaning Amchitka), I had to drug myself up with Dramamine. Now I've been utterly useless. Did watch a couple bond flicks, though: On her Majesty's Secret Service, and just now, Dr. No.

Breakfast, as always, was eggs, pancakes, taters, sausage, and bacon. Getting a bit bored of that, and am beginning to even mentally drift wistfully to breakfast in Koyasan. I ended up with a single pancake, two sausages, and a half-bowl of peaches.

Today, rumor is that the cook finally broke down. Don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. We really, really need a nice break to stall our downward spiral. It looks like Tina may go with Guy over to Semi in the helicopter; that way, if they set up the hut, great. If not, then she can take gas samples. Wish I were there doing that. Instead, I guess I'll head up the hill and patrol for rats or something.

No comments: